Did… did 2018 happen?
Hmm… apparently so. Odd. And apparently 2019 is also scheduled to happen. I suggested we take a break, curl up in the mossy hollow of an old oak somewhere and dream of quiet forests and lacy mushrooms until everyone reconvenes for 2020, but I suppose no one was listening.
(Maybe there’s still time to slip between strokes of the bell, slide through the gap between heartbeats and get lost between one year and the next. They do a good job of fitting hand-in-hand but there must be a chink somewhere. We could build a nest of shed leaves and abandoned feathers and sleep there for as long as we like. If you can step through between the last stroke of today and the first of tomorrow, I’ll meet you there.)
So here’s my recap of 2018 in bullet points:
- J͚̜̤̥͉͔͚̗̹͇̦͍̩͓̠͙͚͕͚͟͠á̻̟̟͙̭͖̫̲̜̝̀͢͠͝n̸͝͏̻͓̰̫̦̤͍͈̠̲͕̻͚̗̥ų̫̮̺̭̻̘͉̪͔̞͠á̼̥̯̱͎̰̥̪̭̫͙̟̮͢r͏͏̠̭̯̖͕̻̥̯ͅý̸̼͇̝͙̬͘ͅ:̡̥̙͙̩̩̣̳͙͞ ҉̸̢͈̖̝̩̬̝̹͖̳̥̪̺͙͕̠̙N̥̣̣̳͢͡ó̶̴̹͓̩̥̝̪̺͢t̴̸̷҉̨͈̹̝͓̲̬̬̱͕͚̣͍̭ͅ ̷̧̻̺͔͓͍̟̜͕̕͟s̵̡̥̼͈̬̻̪͉̙̮̯͘ͅù̵̺̮̪̥͍̠̜͈̰̦̮̟͖̟̜ͅr̷̛̥̙͈̕͡é̵̪̪̫̼̬̪̪̘̤̖̀ ̨̣͈̘̝̼̫͟͡͡Ị̶̢̟̝̩̹̺͘ ̧̛̲͇̝̮̱̱̙̪̙̝̜̻̠͈͔̩̞̞͘e̷̻̱̯͈͖̪̦͓͘͢͞ͅx̷̶̷͎͚̯̣̕͡i̧̧̛͙̺̮͎̙̱̳͉̬̖̮̦̟̻̕͘ͅs̹̘̭͚̹̗͟͜t̴͕͖͖̠̪͍̗̀ȩ̩͚̳͙̩͎̫͖̦͙̖̻̜͎̘͢͜͢͡d̴͓͔̲͉̲̟͈̭͎͇͜͠ͅ.̴͏̸̲͍͇̭̱̺̠̻̟͖̟͕̻̗͉̞͚͔͘͠ͅ
- February: Earned my blackbelt in TKD. Promptly dropped out of TKD (for a variety of mental and physical reasons that basically reduce to Tired.)
- March: Finished high school. Wore out my first pair of pointe shoes.
- April: Survived influenza + turned 18 (at ᴛʜᴇ sᴀᴍᴇ ᴛɪᴍᴇ)
- May: Started work as a barista.
- June: Worked at coffee shop
- July: Worked at coffee shop
- August: COR.
- September: First month of college.
- October: Went canyoneering in Zion Park.
- November: Failed Nanowrimo for the 2nd time.
- December: Survived finals and in so doing learned, to my chagrin, that 4 shots of espresso at a time is A Bit Much
And a few other notable points:
- I did fill up my entire sketch book! Exciting.
- Happiest accomplishment on 2018 resolutions: made new friends.
- Most regretted failure on my 2018 resolutions: didn’t acquire an epic cloak.
- Continuity with 2017’s list: Wyrm continues to fail at Sleep and other human things.
Conclusion: data suggests that I existed for most of 2018.
I’d like to claim that 2019 will be the year I start Doing Things again, but… I’m still holding out that maybe we can cancel the whole thing and have Not Time until 2020?
2 thoughts on “2018: In Which I Did Not Die”
I find your 2018 very impressive. I also find the idea of taking some time off, stopping time, reading a book in a leisurely fashion, taking a stroll through a beautiful meadow or forest, to be something to be grasped at.
Instead I am using January 2019 as my time to “Catch Up On All Things”. Instead of “To do” lists, I make “guilt lists”. Lists of all the things I should have gotten done but did not get too. The list is random, such as: forgetting to write a thank you note, not taking plastic bags to the Sisters, not taking an old friend to lunch, not finishing a project, to needing to take the box of unused stuff to a thrift store that has been sitting in the carport for three months.
Maybe I should put reading the book and taking the stroll on my list just to see if I could get them done.